FAQs - GENERAL
What is the difference in console models ?
Well there are a few different models but when you break it down to console only the differences are very small the Arcades and premium consoles are the same other than one is all white and one is white and chome and they both have the standard AV output connection for the TV if used with a component lead then this will give you HD quality same as an HDMI unit but with a different connection. HDMI models are the premium elites and the very new arcades and these are the same but with a quicker HDMI connection (IDENTIFY XBOX MODEL)
What is the difference in your HDD models ?
The 20,60,120 , 250 and now 320gb models are geniune microsoft brand new or secondhand hard drives and all come with a full 12 month warranty. other models are for special consoles only (like jtag) and wont work on normal consoles - please ask me before you buy.
What power supply do i need ?
These consoles will work with any of the 3 types of power supplies but i highly recommend the 203 watt unit as this gives enough power for the extra fans and modifications and also for any external hard drives you may have fitted.
What is RROD and faults 0102 or 2 lights ?
This is where the console overheats and causes the moterboard to flex and breaks solder joints normally under the GPU chip and this can be prevented with my RROR PREVENTION SYSTEM and also repaired in 98% of cases.
How successful is your RROD PREVENTION SYSTEM ?
Currently i have a success rate of about 98% on all the consoles i have been able to repair and fit my system to and for the other 2% this is why i offer a warranty. See RROD DETAILS section for more info.
How succesful have your repairs been ?
Due to the fact that people have tried DIY repairs as seen on you tube my success rate is about 85% but this is why i offer a no fix no fee - on MY units i have repaired there is a success rate of 98% - with the new 5/12 fan system
What history do you have on your consoles ?
Most my consoles come to me with the MICROSOFT warranty seals still intact so i can offer them as stock fimrware, or other models and know they havent been used on xbox live with modifications before so piece of mind that you wont get banned (unless you have saved game data or profile hacks). This also means i know they havent been repaired before as these are the original silver seals. ALL MINE ARE CONSOLE ONLY UNLESS STATED
Can i collect these consoles or can i drop a repair into you ?
Yes but i only allow this on selective days only in the evening as i dont want to be over run with these units.
What does your postal service include ?
This is a 3-5 day service and includes a full insurance policy if your unit is damaged return it and recieve a full refund if it goes missing i need to wait upto 30 days and then i will fully refund (unless it has been signed for). some units can take upto 5 days to arrive with this service. I will only dispatch once full payment is recieved.
What payments do you take ?
I will accept cheques, cash on collection (or via special recorded delivery), postal orders and bank transfers (BACS), GOOGLE CHCKOUT and sometimes PAYPAL. and all major credit cards via google checkout.
What returns policy do you offer ?
Well on top of the detailed warranty under warranty terms i offer the following - if your unit has a fault within 5 days of the warranty start date i will offer a full refund including the postage you paid me to send you the unit (if the fault is not due to third party accessories). if you change your mind within 5 days then return the item to me and you will recieve a refund minus the postage costs and a 20%restocking fee. (the terms still only apply if the unit still has all warranty seals intact)